1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted and then measured
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon or u can add more
1/4 tsp salt
100 gm butter, softened
3/4 cup demerara (or light brown) sugar, packed
1 egg, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cups milk, at room temperature
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter, cinnamon and sugar till light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of milk. Beat after each addition, just enough to combine the ingredients and do not overmix. After all the additions, beat for just one minute.
Divide the batter equally between 8 to 10 paper lined cupcake tins (depending on the size of your tins) so that each one is 2/3rds full.
Bake the cupcakes at 180C for 20 to 25 minutes till done or a skewer inserted in them comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then turn out and cool completely. Frost the cupcakes with the vanilla frosting given below.
This recipe makes 8 to 10 cupcakes.
FOR MOCHA FROSTING
Preparation3 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons hot brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1. Whisk together sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl. Combine coffee and vanilla.
- 2. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Beat in half-and-half, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until smooth and mixture has reached desired consistency.